Associate Product Managers
The Schmidt Futures Associate Product Manager (APM) program is a first-of-its-kind pathway for cohorts of university graduates to use their technical degrees for public benefit.
The Associate Product Manager program brings together talented young technologists for two years and matches them to rotational opportunities to solve hard social problems. APMs receive personalized leadership training, deepen their skills, engage with leaders across fields, and are mentored by distinguished figures in technology. They emerge from the program ready to manage technical teams, start businesses, take on leadership positions, and become social and policy entrepreneurs.
What you'll gain
Project leadership skills
You will be asked to collaborate with internal and external teams to conduct research and define product goals and success metrics. You’ll craft product roadmaps and craft requirements and you’ll have the opportunity to build lasting relationships across engineering, designs, marketing and policy experts.
A community of like-minded technologists
Be part of our community helping us to shape the future of the Associate Product Managers program, mentor the next cohort.
Solve real problems
Your contribution will help us implement Schmidt Futures organizational and programmatic initiatives, in collaboration with teammates who have expertise ranging from policy and international relations to data science and education.
The Associate Product Manager program’s impact in the world includes:
- Application Opens: May 6
- Informational Sessions [Optional]: May – July
- Application Deadline: August 1
- Interviews: End of August – Mid-September
- Final Decision Notification: Mid-October
What Qualities Do We Look For?
Demonstrates compassion. Gets to know users well in order to help create the most personalized impact.
Eager to do whatever needs to be done to get a product out into the world, forging trust with teammates through humility and hard work. Drives team success through effective time management.
Online Application – Candidates will submit their resume and application materials through the job posting by August 1, 2022.
Technical Assessment – Select candidates will be invited to complete a timed technical assessment that will assess mastery in at least one programming language, analytic and systems thinking, and problem-solving through engineering and design questions.
Interviews – Select candidates will meet with members of the Schmidt Futures team in up to three interviews to discuss their product sense, user and impact-centered reasoning, program fit, and career aspirations.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Engineering or Computer Science (with graduation expected by June 2023) or an equivalent level of training and expertise.
- A demonstrated ability or interest in applying science and technology to solve social problems.
- Be based at the Schmidt Futures offices in New York and travel within the U.S. and internationally regularly as needed following company policy and permitting circumstances.
- We are committed to looking holistically at applicants from diverse backgrounds, including international candidates, to build the strongest cohort. Candidates who do not meet all requirements but who can make a case for being considered for the position are encouraged to apply.
APM 2022 Cohort
Additional Featured Associate Product Managers
Sincere Cheong (2021 Class)
Sincere is a 2021 Associate Product Manager at Schmidt Futures. Before Schmidt Futures, she studied computer science and business with a concentration in sustainability and social impact from the University of British Columbia.
Jonathan Lipman (2021 Class)
Jonathan is a 2021 APM at Schmidt Futures. Before Schmidt Futures, he studied computer Science and philosophy at Stanford University.
Adedoyin Olateru-Olagbegi (2021 Class)
Adedoyin is a 2021 APM at Schmidt Futures. Prior to Schmidt Futures, she studied computer science, data science and economics at MIT, and received a Master’s in Global Affairs in Beijing.