Schmidt Futures is a philanthropic initiative, founded by Eric and Wendy Schmidt, that bets early on exceptional people making the world better. We knit talent into networks, bet on the most promising ideas through diverse forms of competition and support, and equip people to scale through partners and modern tools. To realize this vision, Schmidt Futures uses a broad set of tools — including gifts, grants, investments, and startup activity — for charitable, educational, and commercial efforts with a public purpose. Our initiative brings together the efforts of various charitable and non-charitable entities to improve our potential impact by making diverse types of capital available to the efforts we support.
The Senior HR Generalist plays an important role in ensuring the organization is supported and performing at scale, and looks at Human Resources through both a strategic and tactical lens. Reporting to our Director, Human Resources, the Senior HR Generalist will support the Schmidt Futures’ employee base while working on several projects including: engagement, employee development, internal mobility and performance management initiatives. This role will directly interface with our employees, serving as a resource for information and as a trusted advisor.
- Work with relevant stakeholders to help spearhead programs and strategies that enhance our culture — including performance management, compensation, talent development & feedback, employee engagement & retention, and internal communications.
- Partner with the HR/Talent team and organizational leadership on org design, planning, and execution at scale.
- Provide coaching/guidance on skill and professional development, career pathing and leveling, in collaboration with the Talent team.
- In collaboration with the Director of HR, identify and advise leadership on the development needs of their teams and functions.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing risks and ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Provide HR policy guidance and interpretation, including family and medical leave policies.
- Manage and resolve employee relations issues. Conduct thorough, objective investigations.
- Analyze trends and use data to develop people programs and influence change.
- Build excellent working relationships across the organization.
- Support and mentor junior HR team members.
- Perform projects and other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
Desired capabilities include:
- Expert Human Resources consulting and coaching skills, including organizational development and performance management.
- Ability to work through complex employment issues, including working with employment counsel as needed.
- Experience creating and delivering programs to develop leaders, managers and teams through formal and informal methods.
- Strong communication and project management skills.
- Collaborative approach to problem solving.
- Self motivation with the ability to take initiative, manage a variety of tasks, and see projects through to completion.
- Conflict management and mediation skills.
- 6+ years of work experience in an HR role.
- Expertise in HR policies & procedures – and a track record of prioritizing, defining, developing, and rolling out scalable HR solutions that address the needs of the business.
- Excellent coaching and problem solving skills.
- Deep understanding of relevant employment laws.
- Demonstrated record of success in high-intensity, team-based environments.
- High personal integrity and the ability to maintain confidentiality at the highest levels.
- Be based in the Schmidt Futures offices in New York and be able to travel within the U.S. and internationally on a regular basis as needed following company policy and permitting circumstances.
What We Offer
You’ll have the opportunity to:
- Make a direct and positive impact in the world.
- Work alongside exceptional talent and leaders in their respective fields.
- Be a part of an inclusive organization that values unique backgrounds and perspectives.
- Enjoy a culture of learning and an organization that supports your personal growth and development.
About Schmidt Futures
Schmidt Futures is a philanthropic initiative, founded by Eric and Wendy Schmidt, that finds exceptional people and helps them do more for others together. We knit talent into networks, bet on the most promising ideas through diverse forms of competition and support, and equip people to scale through partners and modern tools. To realize this vision, Schmidt Futures uses a broad set of tools — including gifts, grants, investments, and startup activity — for charitable, educational, and commercial efforts with a public purpose. Our initiative brings together the efforts of various charitable and non-charitable entities to improve our potential impact by making diverse types of capital available to the efforts we support.
Futures Action Network, LLC, which operates Schmidt Futures, is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. We strive for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibit harassment of any kind.