The Content Specialist role will report to the Managing Director, Communications, and work closely with the communications team to write brand narratives, bylined articles, newsletters, press briefings, white papers, and other thought leadership and brand collateral for Schmidt Futures and its employees in order to increase the public impact of the work. This person will work closely with the Schmidt Futures team to help distill complex information in a variety of written formats and ensure consistency in messaging across different platforms and programs under the Schmidt Futures umbrella.
- Write press briefings and speeches with technical talking points and consistent messaging for various Schmidt Futures employees/spokespeople
- Write the monthly newsletter in coordination with the leadership overseeing relevant content
- Write and edit white papers, programmatic communication products and brand collateral for Schmidt Futures and its diverse set of programs and initiatives
- Assist Schmidt Futures employees with program narratives and op-eds for various initiatives
- Work across the company to help distill complex information into digestible content for target audiences
- Carefully ensure all communication products share consistent messaging
Knowledge, skills and abilities
Some of the desired capabilities include:
- Experience and a demonstrated ability of ghost writing for high profile individuals (speeches, talking points, and op-eds).
- Detail orientation with the ability to distill complex technical information into digestible content
- Knowledge and experience writing on topics related to technology, public policy, artificial intelligence and science.
- Ability to prioritize and work in ambiguity
- Demonstrated ability to create various communications products and collateral (newsletters, press releases, website copy, fact sheets)
- Strong knowledge of communication practices and techniques
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated teamwork ability and record of impact in high-intensity, team-based environments
- Values-based, collaborative working style with demonstrated commitment to the highest standards of ethics and confidentiality
- Have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited institution
- Have 3+ years of experience in writing in a content specialist type role
- Be based in New York and be able to travel within the U.S. and internationally on a regular basis as needed
About Schmidt Futures
Schmidt Futures is a philanthropic initiative, founded by Eric and Wendy Schmidt, that finds exceptional people and helps them do more for others together. We knit talent into networks, bet on the most promising ideas through diverse forms of competition and support, and equip people to scale through partners and modern tools. To realize this vision, Schmidt Futures uses a broad set of tools — including gifts, grants, investments, and startup activity — for charitable, educational, and commercial efforts with a public purpose. Our initiative brings together the efforts of various charitable and non-charitable entities to improve our potential impact by making diverse types of capital available to the efforts we support.
Futures Action Network, LLC, which operates Schmidt Futures, is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. We strive for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibit harassment of any kind.