Rise is a program that finds brilliant people who need opportunity and supports them for life as they work to serve others.
An initiative of Schmidt Futures and the Rhodes Trust, the global program starts by finding exceptional young people at the ages 15 to 17 who may go undiscovered or unsupported otherwise and continues potentially for life through scholarships, mentorship, and a global community. Rise is building a global community of future leaders, connecting everyone who applies with a network of peers, learning resources, and additional opportunities from Rise partners around the world. Additionally, each year, Rise will select 100 Global Winners, ages 15 to 17, and provide them with individualized support throughout their lives as they commit their talents to building a better world.
In its inaugural year, Rise has received tens of thousands of registrations from young people in more than 165 countries. The first cohort of 100 Global Winners will be announced in the Fall of 2021.
During their time with Rise, participants form an online community and interact with each other both formally and informally on selected platforms. Reporting to the Director of Program Design, the Community Manager for Rise will be responsible for:
- Stewarding Rise participants on the different Rise digital platforms
- Galvanizing the online community to learn together and to engage across all Rise programming and opportunities
- Coordinating with teams across Rise for a seamless participant experience
Stewarding Rise participants on the different Rise platforms:
- Conduct onboarding to help participants acclimate to the various platforms
- Promote safeguarding and safe and inclusive behavior
- Coordinate program scheduling for different cohorts
- Monitor and track student engagement
- Support technology access and help students navigate the platforms effectively
- Manage the Rise support channels and responding to participant queries
Galvanizing the global community to learn from and with each other:
- Develop strategies and activities that foster community engagement in alignment with Rise’s goals
- Support student-driven initiatives to deploy them to the wider Rise community
- Promote engagement in Rise-sponsored activities
Coordinating with teams across Rise for a seamless participant experience:
- Cultivate online community experience aligned with the strategic goals of Rise
- Keep participants informed about Rise updates
- Collect participant feedback that can inform the work of all of Rise’s teams
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Some of the desired capabilities include:
- Digital platform management proficiency, including Discord and a Learning Management System
- Experience working with 15 – 19-year-olds in a digital environment
- Knowledge and understanding of Safeguarding and digital security, particularly as it relates to minors
- Experience working with youth of diverse backgrounds; strong personal commitment to equity and inclusion
- Demonstrate competency in digital platform management and administration
- Have completed advanced training for Safeguarding (or willing to undergo advanced training)
- Have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited institution
- Be based at the Schmidt Futures offices in New York and be able to travel within the U.S. and internationally on a regular basis as needed following company policy and permitting circumstances.
About Schmidt Futures
Schmidt Futures is a philanthropic initiative, founded by Eric and Wendy Schmidt, that finds exceptional people and helps them do more for others together. We knit talent into networks, bet on the most promising ideas through diverse forms of competition and support, and equip people to scale through partners and modern tools. To realize this vision, Schmidt Futures uses a broad set of tools — including gifts, grants, investments, and startup activity — for charitable, educational, and commercial efforts with a public purpose. Our initiative brings together the efforts of various charitable and non-charitable entities to improve our potential impact by making diverse types of capital available to the efforts we support.
Futures Action Network, LLC, which operates Schmidt Futures, is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. We strive for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibit harassment of any kind.