Financial Planning and Analysis
- Lead a review of FAN financial processes to identify opportunities to increase transparency, improve operational efficiency, and reduce administrative burden for program and functional leaders.
- As part of the above review, assess potential software upgrades, particularly for budgeting and financial forecasting.
- Manage organization-wide annual budgeting and quarterly reforecasting, coordinating the efforts of the Finance team to ensure that program and function-level submissions roll up into an integrated work product, assess those submissions against organizational benchmarks, and ultimately prepare a final product for review by the broader Schmidt Futures leadership team and by other key stakeholders.
- Partner with the Head of Strategy to experiment with different strategies for outcomes-based budgeting and other potential methods to facilitate organization-wide prioritization of financial outlays; partner with FAN leadership assessing financial expenditure to develop frameworks for evaluating the cost-effectiveness of past spend that reflect varying time horizons for impact
Strategic and Operational Planning Support
- Lead the preparation of analyses to inform strategic decisions and work with the broader FAN leadership team to build associated financial plans for each option.
- Facilitate decisions regarding the funding sources and financial structures for new programs and grants, ensuring that those decisions are ultimately reflected in policies/practices and our accounting systems.
- Develop benchmarks and other methods for evaluating the cost-efficiency of grants, contracts, and other expenditures.
- Track org-wide KPIs for our financial operations (grantmaking, operational spending, time billing) and help identify solutions where those KPIs do not align with organizational targets.
- Serve as the manager of our Accounts Payable Associate.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Proven track record of success leading teams of people conducting complex financial analysis, management, and budgeting.
- Project management skills, including capabilities to manage complex stakeholders and ensure effective implementation.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills, for both conceptual and analytical problems;
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive partner.
- Demonstrated teamwork ability and record of impact in high-intensity, team-based environments.
- Values-based, collaborative working style with a demonstrated commitment to the highest standards of ethics and confidentiality.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Have led work in an FP&A role in a high-growth organization, as a management consultant, or in a similarly fast-paced and entrepreneurial work environment.
- Hold a graduate degree, especially in law or management; this is a plus but not required.
- Have the ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker.
- Be based in the Schmidt Futures offices in New York or Washington, D.C., and be able to travel within the U.S. and internationally on a regular basis as needed following company policy and permitting circumstances.
Futures Action Network, LLC, which operates Schmidt Futures, is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. We strive for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibit harassment of any kind.