Financial Planning and Analysis
- Lead a review of FAN financial processes to identify opportunities to increase transparency, improve operational efficiency, and reduce administrative burden for program and functional leaders.
- As part of the above review, assess potential software upgrades, particularly for budgeting and financial forecasting.
- Manage organization-wide annual budgeting and quarterly reforecasting, coordinating the efforts of the Finance team to ensure that program and function-level submissions roll up into an integrated work product, assess those submissions against organizational benchmarks, and ultimately prepare a final product for review by the broader Schmidt Futures leadership team and by other key stakeholders.
- Partner with the Head of Strategy to experiment with different strategies for outcomes-based budgeting and other potential methods to facilitate organization-wide prioritization of financial outlays; partner with FAN leadership assessing financial expenditure to develop frameworks for evaluating the cost-effectiveness of past spend that reflect varying time horizons for impact
Strategic and Operational Planning Support
- Lead the preparation of analyses to inform strategic decisions and work with the broader FAN leadership team to build associated financial plans for each option.
- Facilitate decisions regarding the funding sources and financial structures for new programs and grants, ensuring that those decisions are ultimately reflected in policies/practices and our accounting systems.
- Develop benchmarks and other methods for evaluating the cost-efficiency of grants, contracts, and other expenditures.
- Track org-wide KPIs for our financial operations (grantmaking, operational spending, time billing) and help identify solutions where those KPIs do not align with organizational targets.
- Serve as the manager of our Accounts Payable Associate.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Proven track record of success leading teams of people conducting complex financial analysis, management, and budgeting.
- Project management skills, including capabilities to manage complex stakeholders and ensure effective implementation.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills, for both conceptual and analytical problems;
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive partner.
- Demonstrated teamwork ability and record of impact in high-intensity, team-based environments.
- Values-based, collaborative working style with a demonstrated commitment to the highest standards of ethics and confidentiality.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Have led work in an FP&A role in a high-growth organization, as a management consultant, or in a similarly fast-paced and entrepreneurial work environment.
- Hold a graduate degree, especially in law or management; this is a plus but not required.
- Have the ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker.
- Be based in the Schmidt Futures offices in New York or Washington, D.C., and be able to travel within the U.S. and internationally on a regular basis as needed following company policy and permitting circumstances.
At Schmidt Futures we are committed to fair, transparent pay and we strive to provide competitive, market-informed compensation. The target base salary range for this role is $220,000 to $260,000. Compensation for the successful candidate will be informed by the candidate’s particular combination of knowledge, skills, competencies and experience.
Futures Action Network, LLC, which operates Schmidt Futures, is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. We strive for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibit harassment of any kind.