Conduct User Research and Develop Mock-ups, Prototypes and High-Fidelity Designs to Effectively Communicate Product Ideas
- Utilize UX methods to come up with design explorations and prototypes for new products that aim to support talent in the impact space.
- Develop high fidelity user interface designs in collaboration with product and engineering.
- Conduct user research to inform improvements to existing app / web interface designs and inform development of new products and features.
- Early-career tech talent → impact pipeline: a new product that aims to get more early-career tech talent in the impact space.
- Rise: a program that finds brilliant people, starting between the ages of 15 and 17, who need opportunity and support them for life as they work to serve others.
Advise Partners & Grantees on Design Decisions
- Engage with partner teams, organizations and grantees to:
- Discuss product design goals, and recommend a set of next steps such as user research, usability testing etc.
- Assist in analyzing and interpreting user research results.
- Assess existing UI/UX flows and provide high-level feedback.
- Assess design hiring needs and recommend specifics around the type of role and skills teams should hire for.
Some Example Projects that you may Provide Design Guidance for Include:
- Benefits Access: improving the accessibility of U.S. government social safety net benefits, especially to marginalized populations, by supporting product and tool development that improves access and equity in government service delivery.
- Opportunity Engine: mobilizing talent with innovative ideas to increase wages for low-income workers through job-training initiatives that use technology to help more people at scale.
- Learning Engineering Virtual Institute: improving our fundamental understanding of how people learn by recruiting science talent, creating partnerships between university researchers and owners of digital platforms, and scaling the lessons from those partnerships to reach a growing number of students.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience with design tools such as Adobe Creative Cloud, Figma or Sketch
- Experience with conducting user research.
- Ability to clearly communicate concepts and designs through sketches, wireframes, prototypes, and high-fidelity designs.
- A great eye for detail, demonstrating creative and innovative problem-solving.
- Ability to work cross-functionally with a team of engineers, product managers, and other stakeholders.
- Ability to handle ambiguity and work across multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong oral and written communication skills to effectively interact with stakeholders.
- Have prior experience with UI/UX design, which you can demonstrate through a portfolio. This may include experience from a full-time job, internship, freelancing or personal projects.
- Be based at the Schmidt Futures office in New York and be able to travel within the U.S. and internationally on a regular basis as needed.
Futures Action Network, LLC, which operates Schmidt Futures, is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. We strive for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibit harassment of any kind.