Schmidt Futures is a philanthropic initiative, founded by Eric and Wendy Schmidt, that bets early on exceptional people making the world better. We knit talent into networks, bet on the most promising ideas through diverse forms of competition and support, and equip people to scale through partners and modern tools. To realize this vision, Schmidt Futures uses a broad set of tools — including gifts, grants, investments, and startup activity — for charitable, educational, and commercial efforts with a public purpose. Our initiative brings together the efforts of various charitable and non-charitable entities to improve our potential impact by making diverse types of capital available to the efforts we support.
As an Analyst with Schmidt Futures you will have the opportunity to do meaningful work with the potential for broad impact. In this highly visible role, you’ll navigate ambiguity and analyze real world problems using exceptional quantitative skills and judgement to produce well formulated insights and ideas. You will work along leadership that has experience across many sectors and the work is oriented that way. Your efforts will help inform the creation of processes, instill operational best practices and help Schmidt Futures scale.
Analysts are often hired as part of a cohort and rotate across different areas of the organization with the intention that your development makes you an invaluable member of the Schmidt Futures network while you are with our organization and beyond. If you are someone that loves a fast pace, working on lean teams and using your analytical skill set to solve critical problems, this role has the potential to be a great match.
Analysts are a critical part of the team, working directly with other members of Schmidt Futures to perform implementation support and analysis relevant to:
- Development of new programs, sector research, program design, human capital deployment, and management.
- Existing programs and individual gifts, grants, or investments either underway or completed.
- Schmidt Futures’ cross-portfolio operations in strategy, budget, organizational design, implementation, and talent management.
Some of what our Analysts do:
- Conduct research and analysis designed to outline potential opportunities for impact, understand relative effectiveness of alternative models, and quantify likely results of programs overall and/or individual gifts, grants, or investments.
- Perform landscape analyses to identify potential opportunities for partnership as well as lessons learned from existing efforts in the field.
- Work closely with others on the team to provide execution support and perform independent analysis to help verify outcomes of Schmidt Futures’ programs and/or individual gifts, grants, or investments.
- Assist in finding and supporting exceptional talent
- Identify important issues to be resolved through organizational planning processes, and propose alternatives based on research of potential scale and scope on criteria to be defined.
- Prepare relevant communications for senior members of the Schmidt Futures team in support of their communications and thought leadership.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Some of the desired capabilities include:
- Project management skills, including capabilities to drive efforts independently, and ensure effective implementation.
- Ability to coordinate efforts across multiple stakeholders, partners, and portfolio teams
- Ability to work under pressure, across multiple work-streams, in order to meet project timelines.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills, for both conceptual and analytical problems
- Demonstrated analytical skills, including quantitative modeling.
- Values-based, collaborative working style with demonstrated commitment to the highest standards of ethics and confidentiality.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Be fresh or recent college graduates with a mix of fellowship, internship, or work experience in business, government, philanthropy, technology, or the military.
- Have a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university.
- Be based in the Schmidt Futures offices in New York or Washington DC and be able to support onsite operations in the office on a regular basis as needed following company policy and permitting circumstances.
What We Offer
You’ll have the opportunity to:
- Make a direct and positive impact in the world.
- Work alongside exceptional talent and leaders in their respective fields.
- Be a part of an inclusive organization that values unique backgrounds and perspectives.
- Enjoy a culture of learning and an organization that supports your personal growth and development.
About Schmidt Futures
Schmidt Futures is a philanthropic initiative, founded by Eric and Wendy Schmidt, that finds exceptional people and helps them do more for others together. We knit talent into networks, bet on the most promising ideas through diverse forms of competition and support, and equip people to scale through partners and modern tools. To realize this vision, Schmidt Futures uses a broad set of tools — including gifts, grants, investments, and startup activity — for charitable, educational, and commercial efforts with a public purpose. Our initiative brings together the efforts of various charitable and non-charitable entities to improve our potential impact by making diverse types of capital available to the efforts we support.
Futures Action Network, LLC, which operates Schmidt Futures, is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. We strive for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibit harassment of any kind.